Tuesday, July 12, 2011

In which I found out Newt added me on Twitter himself

I was already excited the last couple of weeks when Newt started following me on Twitter and also responded to a Tweet of mine. I was rather confident Newt sent out the tweet, but I wasn't sure if he actually manages his account and adds people. Even so, I thought, that's pretty cool.

But then I read this tonight:

"He tweets and manages his Twitter feed himself, his campaign confirmed to POLITICO."

"He’s a lot more interesting than other guys," said Jeff Jacobs, a Democratic consultant who advises candidates on online strategy. "Romney’s tweets by and large read like press releases, and Gingrich...jokes more, it's just a lot more casual, and definitely responding to individual users is a big thing."

In one instance, when a Twitter user asked Gingrich if he really believed in dinosaurs, Gingrich replied by bragging about the dinosaur fossil he owns: "Not only do I believe in dinosaurs I had a t rex skull in speakers office to remind us they used to think they were important too."

In March, when the famed polar bear Knut died at the Berlin Zoo, Gingrich took to Twitter to share his condolences.

"Sad news! Just learned knut the polar bear died suddenly at 4," Gingrich tweeted. "Callista and I visited him in Berlin when he was 5 months old-he was cute."

Last month, Gingrich took the bait from Rainn Wilson, when the comic actor who plays the eccentric character Dwight Schrute in the television show "The Office" sought to engage him.

Just after Gingrich campaign staffers resigned en masse, Wilson tweeted with an offer to be Gingrich’s new campaign manager "because of the many Newt/Schrute rhyme options."

Gingrich, showing a willingness to make light of the grim situation, decided to respond with an inside joke that would be familiar to viewers of the show: "We have a campaign manager. What about assistant TO the campaign manager?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

This page is not affiliated with any political campaign or party.

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP